[Bio-Linux] Fast remote desktop for Bio-Linux using FreeNX

Tony Travis ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Mon Nov 28 06:04:05 EST 2005

Tim Booth wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Nic here suggested trying FreeNX for remote connections into
> Bio-Linux machines.  The system promises a full-speed remote desktop
> even over a home broadband connection, has clients for Windows, Mac
> and Linux and is available at no cost.  I tried it myself this
> weekend and was very impressed.  If you are running remote
> applications on a Bio-Linux machine and finding them slow, then
> FreeNX may be the answer.  It also allows you to run a remote session
> on a Windows machine without installing software like Exceed.  I have
> put instructions on how to set it up on our website:

Hello, Tim.

I've set up Bio-Linux under Debian Sarge with XDMCP and VNC: You can get
a Bio-Linux desktop using either the Microsoft Windows VNC viewer, or in
a web browser window using the Java VNC viewer applet. Performance is
excellent on 2Mb broadband - I'm using a web browser at the moment to
run GAP4. I'm using 'TightVNC':

	http://www.tightvnc.com/

Instructions about setting up VNC under XDMCP are attached. You need to
tunnel port 5901 (VNC) through port 22 (SSH) to use VNC through a
firewall, and you also need to tunnel port 80 (HTTP) through 22 (SSH) if
you want to use the Java applet in a web browser through a firewall. BTW
these 'complications' are necessary to ensure security for external use,
but are not needed within a firewall.

Best wishes,

	Tony.
Dr. A.J.Travis,                     |  mailto:ajt at rri.sari.ac.uk
Rowett Research Institute,          |    http://www.rri.sari.ac.uk/~ajt
Greenburn Road, Bucksburn,          |   phone:+44 (0)1224 712751
Aberdeen AB21 9SB, Scotland, UK.    |     fax:+44 (0)1224 716687