[Bio-Linux] Mapmaker on Bio-linux 4?

Dan Swan bioinformatics.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 12:12:44 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, Jose A. Andres <jaa53 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for for your quick  response and for you potential interest
> in  compiling Mapmaker3 for Bio-linux.  Here at Cornell we still use this
> program, and as far as I can tell is still use by many despite its "old
> age".   I am not an expert myself  on this kind of analysis, so I can't
> tell what the differences between Mapmaker3 and some other programs are
> (I'll ask around). However,  as I understood it is quite fast, robust and
> deals with  both dominant (eg AFLPs) and co-dominant (eg micros) markers.
> Apparently, it is still in good use and many projects/papers still rely on
> it.

Hi Jose,

just out of interest have you looked at Genehunter 2?  It's still
maintained and I'm pretty sure it has a lot (if not all) of Mapmakers
functionality.   There are a number of issues getting Mapmaker built
under Linux, at Newcastle we only offer it under OS X, where it is
available as a Fink package.

regards,

Dan

--
Senior Research Associate, Bioinformatics Support Unit,
Institute for Cell and Molecular Biosciences,