[Bio-Linux] Bio-Linux Security Update - solution

Stewart Houten shou at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Feb 15 10:56:38 EST 2008

Dear All,

Apologies for the inconvenience of this.  I seem to have got to the
bottom of this issue and have some updated instructions for upgrading
which should get around each of the problems posted here today.

I have tested the following instructions on machines at the NEBC and
am happy that they will work.  However, as I am upgrading our key
server this weekend the NEBC helpdesk and mailing lists will be
off-line until Monday, so it would be prudent if only those that have
already ran into problems attempt this until next week.

* 1 Edit the file /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and change the line

MODULES=list
MODULES=most

* 2 Check the "kopt" entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst (See previous email)

If you have Dell 670/490 (with SATA disks) it should read "/dev/sda1",
and for Dell 650s (with IDE disks) it should read "/dev/hda1".  Modify
this accordingly if necessary.

* 3a THEN, upgrade your kernel (if you've already done this go to 3b.)

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

which should install the new kernel, but if the
linux-image-2.6.18-6-686 package is "kept back" you can install it
explicitly with

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.18-6-686

* 3b If you have already installed the kernel and ran into problems
follow steps 1 and 2, then run

dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6.18-6-686

* 4. Reboot.

Regards,
Stewart
--
Dr Stewart Houten, Bio-Linux Developer
NEBC, CEH, Mansfield Road, Oxford, OX1 3SR