[Bio-Linux] Mail5:Can we get more backports for the newest software in bioinformatics?

Sasa Paporovic sasa.paporovic at fh-bielefeld.de
Sat May 4 15:08:29 EDT 2013

To 5:“Can we get more backports for the newest software in bioinformatics?”

Yes, and in the same moment: No.

The greatest advance of the backporting process is that it is community driven. The greatest drawback is that it is only community driven.

So, I am not a Jenkins, not a Hudson and the game is called: Get one give two.

There is a mathematical deep laying cause for the name of the game, which can be found in the work of John von Neumann, the founder of game theorie(and many other stuff).

But for short:

Think of bit torrent and ask: “What would happen if there are more leachers than seeds?!”

You can vary a bit  with the both parameters here. What you will see immediately is that some configurations will work better than others.

Line under.

What I have for you is an invitation.

I am your guide, I am your scout in the jungle of backportable software, in the genealogy of distributions(Debian, Ubuntu, Biolinux), but the work for a specific backport must be done by you. I show you how it works.

When this is acceptable to you, you may want to send me a private mail to

melchiaros at aol.com

That is enough for now.

Communication and organization platform for openSource projects are well known and will be used if E-Mail become uncomfortable.

Greetings

melchiaros

(aka Sasa Paporovic)