[Bio-Linux] Problems updating biolinux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Thu Sep 12 06:31:01 EDT 2013

Hi Guillermo,

Andor is right that you can just ignore the authentication issue and
force the package installations, but this doesn't really address the
problem.  Sometimes the signatures get temporarily out of sync with the
server but in general secure APT should work seamlessly.

If you run "sudo apt-get update" on the command line just now and still
get signing errors then let me know - specifically the bit where it says
"NO_PUBKEY ..." and which key it is complaining about, and I'll see what
might need fixing.

On a related note, you may well find that the graphical updater is
unable to upgrade the package "bio-linux-glimmer3".  This is my fault
for not quite understanding how to do package renaming neatly.  The
solution is:

sudo apt-get install glimmer3 bio-linux-glimmer3

and say yes to removing tigr-glimmer, which is the old name for the
package.  Note that Glimmer3 hasn't actually been updated, it's just
that the old name makes no sense any more.

Cheers,

TIM

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 02:06 +0100, Andor J Kiss wrote:
> Hello,
>

>   It's a package signing issue.  If you trust the packages, then you
> can update & upgrade via the CLI.
>

> $ sudo apt-get update
>

> $ sudo apt-get upgrade
>

> The last command will complain about the unsigned packages, but it
> will permit you to override that warning and upgrade anyway - whereas
> the GUI (update-mangaler) will not.
>

> Regards,
> ____________________________
> Andor J Kiss
> eMAIL: kissaj at MiamiOH.edu
>
> On Sep 8, 2013, at 8:07 PM, Guillermo Hugo Lopez Campos
> <guillermo.lopez at unimelb.edu.au> wrote:
>

> > Hello,
> >

> > I haven't used my biolinux for a while (around 1 month) and now when
> > I I cannot update it because it says that the update requires the
> > installation of untrusted packages and it doesn't allow me to
> > continue with it. Any ideas about why could this be happening and
> > how to solve it?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Guillermo
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Guillermo Lopez Campos
> > HaBIC - Health and Biomedical Informatics Centre
> > Melbourne Medical School
> > The University of Melbourne
> >

> > Level 1, 202 Berkeley Street. 3010 VIC
> > Telephone: +61 3 9035 7544

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England