[Bio-Linux] HWE error with Biolinux

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 08:53:59 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,

The updated version of Bio-Linux is basically finished, but I've been
waiting on final tester feedback and trying to finish the release
announcement and new website content before I send it out to this list.

If you want to see what is going on, the discussion is over on the
developers list, including my provisional upgrade instructions posted
here:

http://nebclists.nerc.ac.uk/pipermail/bio-linux-dev/2014-June/000246.html

Doing a release upgrade won't "completely break the system" but it will
probably complain about the APT-sources having custom entries, and the
default Ubuntu upgrader doesn't know about extra important packages that
should be added to BL8, or how to switch from FreeNX to X2GO.  Therefore
you should use my upgrade script.  I'm hoping to make some final minor
fixes and announce it officially next week.

Cheers,

TIM

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 13:27 +0100, Brian Golding wrote:

> Upon login, I have started to get the message listed below.
>
> (1) Are you working on a new version of Biolinux and should I simply wait
> for that or (2) should I try the HWE upgrade or (3) would a release
> upgrade completely break the system?
>
> Brian

> Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.5.0-52-generic x86_64)
>
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 12 packages can be updated.
> 11 updates are security updates.
>

> Your current Hardware Enablement Stack (HWE) is going out of support
> on 08/07/14.  After this date security updates for critical parts
> (kernel
> and graphics stack) of your system will no longer be available.
>
> For more information, please see:
> http://wiki.ubuntu.com/1204_HWE_EOL
>
> To upgrade to a supported (or longer supported) configuration:
>
> * Upgrade from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS by running:
> sudo do-release-upgrade
>
> OR
>
> * Install a newer HWE version by running:
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-trusty
>
> and reboot your system.
>
> Last login:

Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England