[Bio-Linux] Live Bio-Linux not persistent

Cox, Michael J michael.cox1 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jun 12 05:13:37 EDT 2014

Hi All,

we’re using live USBs for a course next week that Tim kindly cloned after installing a couple of R packages and a test dataset.  He’s now on his hols, so I thought I’d check to see whether the rest of the list could help me with an issue that I’m having.

On boot, I couldn’t find the data that Tim added.  I’ve checked by creating a file and the sticks aren’t persistent and files are removed when the USB stick is.  I did find a reference that suggested creating a new user and that user account would be persistent, but no joy, new user and file removed on reboot.

The additional R packages that Tim added to the distribution (dev version of PhyloSeq) are present and correct, so that at least has stayed.

I have checked in:

/syslinux/txt.cfg

and this seems correct - the persistent flag is set on the Try Bio-Linux 7 option:

default live
label live
  menu label ^Try Bio-Linux 7 without installing
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz.efi
  append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash  locale=en_GB.UTF-8 --
label live-install
  menu label ^Install Bio-Linux 7
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz.efi
  append noprompt cdrom-detect/try-usb=true persistent file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
label check
  menu label ^Check stick for defects
  kernel /casper/vmlinuz.efi
  append  boot=casper noprompt integrity-check initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash --
label memtest
  menu label Test ^memory
  kernel /install/mt86plus
label hd
  menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
  localboot 0x80

This post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2124124&p=12551088#post12551088 suggests editing syslinux.cfg (rather than txt.cfg) to make a Ubuntu stick persistent, which I’ve tried, but it booted up exactly as before and again was stubbornly resistant to retaining files.

Can anyone suggest ways to get this working?  Given the fact the R packages have remained, some aspect of this seems to be functioning?  I could have the attendees download the data and course material, but would much rather they left with a copy of Bio-Linux and all their work and notes in one elegant package.

Thanks very much for your help

Mike

Mike Cox

Research Associate
Molecular Genetics & Genomics

Genomic Medicine
National Heart and Lung Institute
Guy Scadding Building
Royal Brompton Campus
London SW3 6LY

0207 594 7974

http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/people/michael.cox1/

* New NHLI short course "Principles of Genomic Medicine" *
http://www1.imperial.ac.uk/nhli/PGM