[Bio-Linux] Fresh install - partitioning?

Raony Guimaraes Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas raonyguimaraes at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:04:36 EDT 2014

Hello All!

I'm using Biolinux (first 7 and now 8) in a Poweredge T710 for almost 3.5
years already. I like it's performance a lot!

I have 2 disks of 3TB in Raid-0 where i run Biolinux 8, Postgresql 9.4 and
all the other things I need running really fast!

My configs are:

- 24 cores, 112 GB of ram
- 4 disks with 3TB, 4 disks with 2TB

Raid:

2 disks in raid0
2 disks in raid 1
4 disks in raid 5 (with hot swap enabled!)

Partitions:

  / (raid 0 )
  /swap (raid 0 )
  /home (raid 0 )
  /backup (raid 1)
  /projects (raid 5)

Since I'm using raid 0 for the system (/, /home and etc) I made LVM
snapshots of my root partition just in case everything will blow out some
day.

Oh, and I also have periodic backups of the databases with pg_dump, cron
and rsync!

Let me know how I could help :)

Raony Guimarães Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas
PhD Student in Bioinformatics

email: raonyguimaraes at gmail.com
skype/gtalk: raonyguimaraes
phone: +55 31 93404152

Laboratory of Clinical Genomics
UFMG School of Medicine
Federal University of Minas Gerais - UFMG
Av. Prof. Alfredo Balena, 190, Sala 321
Belo Horizonte, Brazil 30130-100