[Bio-Linux] Fresh install - partitioning?

Tony Travis tony.travis at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Oct 16 09:53:32 EDT 2014

On 16/10/14 14:04, Raony Guimaraes Corrêa Do Carmo Lisboa Cardenas wrote:
> Hello All!
>
> I'm using Biolinux (first 7 and now 8) in a Poweredge T710 for almost
> 3.5 years already. I like it's performance a lot!
>
> I have 2 disks of 3TB in Raid-0 where i run Biolinux 8, Postgresql 9.4
> and all the other things I need running really fast!
> [...]

Hi, Raony.

RAID0 is quite risky because if *any* of your disk fail you will lose
everything!

I would use RAID10 instead or use two of your disks in RAID1 and backup
onto the third single disk. Disk capacity is important, of course, but
you risk losing everything unless you are backing up your RAID0 onto
external or network disks.

If you *really* want to live dangerously, you might try out Btrfs!

I'm running Bio-Linux 8 on an 8-disk Btrfs RAID10 on my personal
Bio-Linux workstation and it performs very well. I've been doing
disaster-recovery testing and it all seems to work very well. The only
real problem is that you can't swap on a Btrfs filesystem, but you can
mount a file on a loop device and swap on that instead.

I think Btrfs is the future :-)

Bye,

  Tony.

--
Dr. A.J.Travis, University of Aberdeen, Institute of Biological and
Environmental Sciences, Cruickshank Building, St. Machar Drive, Aberdeen

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas clàraichte ann an Alba, Àir. SC013683.