[Bio-Linux] (no subject)

Tim Booth tbooth at ceh.ac.uk
Mon Apr 27 04:47:17 EDT 2015

Hi Roy,

If you want to run a BLAST search without downloading the database you
can use the -remote flag, so:

blastp -query PROTEIN_SEQ.fa -db nr -out PROTEIN_SEQ.blast -remote

But because this uses the processing power on the NCBI servers it will
potentially be a lot slower than downloading the database for yourself,
so if you are processing a whole lot of sequences you should probably
download the database files from FTP first.

Cheers,

TIM

--
Tim Booth <tbooth at ceh.ac.uk>
NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre

Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
Maclean Bldg, Benson Lane
Crowmarsh Gifford
Wallingford, England