[Bio-linux-list] [Bio-Linux-list] Can't install Biolinux8 in DELL Precision T5810

Xavier Martínez Serrano xmarti6 at xtec.cat
Tue Dec 15 08:25:08 EST 2015

Thanks for all your replies guys!!

I finally managed to install it by booting to Biolinux-USB via text mode as
you suggested and installing the specific graphic-card driver from there,
using the last driver which is compatible with 14.04, previous one was not,
only with 12.04, and this is the one that came in ubuntu repositories
(fglrx package), probably due to that there was kind of mixture in GUI with
12.04. But the ISO I used was Biolinux 14.04, I'm sure of this, and I
checked the ISO md5.

Before solving it I also tried to install latest AMD Firepro W5100 drivers
from that ISO-USB burn but probably the drivers or whatever messed up with
fglrx package from Ubuntu repositories.

So, to sum up, what I finally did to solve the problem was:

1) Boot Biolinux8-USB (from which I saved 5GB of free space in UnetBootin)
in a computer with Internet access and download and extract there the
latest graphic-card driver (for which I ensured it was compatible with
14.04)

2)Boot  Biolinux8-USB in the computer of interest in text mode by replacing
boot parameters "quiet splash" - > "text"

3)Go to the graphic-card driver and install the driver for distribution
14.04, in my case I did:
   sudo apt-get purge fglrx*
   sudo ./amd.....  (driver binary file)  --buildpkg Ubuntu/trusty

Thanks again to all, and hope my experience can be helpful for others!

Xavi

(by the way Xavi de Pedro, best regards :) )