[Bio-Linux] Several concurrent users to BioLinux8 as Headless VM on Ubuntu14.04?

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Tue Sep 29 06:23:31 EDT 2015

On 28/09/15 15:58, Xavier de Pedro wrote:
> [...]
> But we are concerned expecting to have some students with old-ish
> computers (from the 60 students enrolled in the course), and we did
> setup another virtualbox-powered virtual machine with BioLinux8 on a
> "Headless" server so that those students (5 or so?, we presume) will be
> able to connect through RDP to one of our servers to use BioLinux there.
> We followed these instructions for the setup:
> https://www.howtoforge.com/vboxheadless-running-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox-4.3-on-a-headless-ubuntu-14.04-lts-server
>

> However, only one RDP connection seems to be allowed at a time. I tried
> these tweaks I could find around:
>
>   "Ubuntu 14.04 – Gnome Classic alike Desktop for XRDP : MATE-Desktop"
>   http://c-nergy.be/blog/?p=5382

Hi, Xarvier.

Don't use RDP, use "x2go" - Bio-Linux 8 comes with the "x2go" server
pre-installed. You just need to install the "x2go" client on your
Windows/Mac desktop or laptop PC's. I'm particularly interested in
Bio-Linux as a terminal server, so please let me know how you get on?

The most important thing is to set the "x2go" client to use the MATE
desktop. I've used this to run Bio-Linux courses with 20 or more people
accessing the same server via "x2go" without any problems.

HTH,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk