[Bio-linux-list] How to update mothur?

Tony Travis tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 08:07:29 EST 2017

On 31/01/17 12:20, Andor J Kiss wrote:
> You can simply download latest mothur and unzip the file.  Then
> navigate to the folder that the unzipped folder is in and start
> mothur
>
> $ /path/to/unzipped/mothur/folder/ ./mothur --

Hi, Andor.

You're right, that would probably be OK for testing, but not for
'normal' use - That's why I suggested copying the "mothur" binary to
/usr/local/bin/ so it will be accessible via the shell PATH variable.

However, none of the supporting programs in the .zip file will be
accessible if you just run "./mothur" unless you add "." and
"./blast/bin" to the PATH, but putting "." on the PATH is a potential
security risk because of 'malware' and I do NOT advise doing it, even
for testing...

It's also 'bad-practice' to put executables and data in the same folder,
but I only do it when there is no alternative :-)

Bye,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis at minke-informatics.co.uk