[Bioclusters] Request for discussions-How to build a biocluster Part 1 (the objectives)

Sylvain Foisy bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 2 May 2002 13:55:39 -0400

Hi to all,

I am sending this e-mail so that other people besides me get the
necessary insights into building a biocluster. I have divided my
questions in multiple posts so that any input for specific point can be
address in replying to the appropriate post. I am hoping to get some
info that could than be use to create a web site that could help people
build their own biocluster.

Our present goal is to build a reasonably fast, easily expendable and
affordable local BLAST server. We need it to be accessible both via a
web page and a command-line interface (for batch jobs). We want it to
get the daily updates from GenBank as well as use user-created
databases. We might also extend its use to RNA folding and AI-based gene
identification.

It is also to be the central core of some research projects, including
the development of administrative tools for cluster management and
sequence analysis algorithms.

More to come...

Sylvain