[Bioclusters] anyone using ensembl pipeline with gridengine?

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 13:51:02 -0400

Hi folks,

Just got back from an amazing swing through Singapore where I got to
see some existing bioclusters and read the many tenders that are
outstanding for new/future systems. Singapore has jumped on the grid
computing bandwagon in a big way but they are being smart about it --
people are actually buying and testing all sorts of different clusters,
interconnects and storage systems (hi Lai Loong Fong!) now for the
express purpose of making sure stuff actually interoperates when
"biogrids" turn from useless vendor-hyped vaporware into something real
& useful.

Many of the future clusters planned are going to use Platform LSF
mostly because one of the application requirements is being able to run
the ensembl annotation pipeline (ensembl has a dependency on LSF for
bulk computation). One of the most common questions asked was "can we
run ensembl without LSF?"

I remember this question being asked in the past and also hearing that
the Fugu-sg.org folks were going to do a SGE port of ensembl. I think
this never happened because Platform came out with low academic per-CPU
pricing and it turned out to be just easier and simpler to use ensmbl
as-is with LSF underneath.

Has this changed? Anyone using ensembl with gridengine? Is there
interest in trying to do this?

I'll summarize any responses and if I don't hear from anyone on this
list I'll go pester the ensembl-dev mailing list.

-Chris
bioteam.net