[Bioclusters] Journalist request: linux cluster user feedback

Alan Hart bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:43:18 +0100

As below ...
Let me know if you want any more detail.
Alan Hart
UNIX Manager
Oxford GlycoSciences

	1 year

> - How many nodes was your cluster originally? How many nodes is it now? Do
> you have plans to add more in the future?

	10 now 20 expect to go 100+ in 2003

> - Did you build your cluster yourself or use an independent consultant or
> hardware vendor (If so, please specify who)?

	Total self build (based on previous experience in the Oil Industry)

> - What type of processors make up your cluster?

	Intel 1.2 GHz's

> - What type of distributed resource management software (ie, LSF, PBS, Sun
> Grid Engine) do you use?

	Mosix Kernel level load sharing with Sun Grid queuing resource on
top

> - What bioinformatics/life science applications do you run on the cluster?
> Has this changed at all in the time you've had it running?

	Sometimes daily changes !  Blast, fgenes, clustalw, emboss, fasta,
iprscan and lots more ...

> - Do you use a parallel Blast application? If so, which one (ie, BeoBlast,
> NBlast, Blackstone PowerBlast, TurboBlast, Paracel Blast)?

	Nope.

> - Is the price/performance of your Linux cluster better or worse than you
> expected it to be? Please elaborate, if possible.

	Good although my opinion is take more man hours to support than an
equivalent UNIX (e.g. solaris) cluster

> - Is the total cost of ownership of your Linux cluster (including air
> conditioning/cooling, sys-admin costs, downtime, footprint, etc.) better
> or
> worse than you expected it to be? Please elaborate, if possible.

	Good.

> - Overall, what are the biggest advantages to using a Linux cluster in
> bioinformatics? What are the biggest drawbacks?

	Opensource flexible build, low cost, easy to modify, good price
performance, lots of open source BioInf. code, dual boot NT & linux for more
flexibility, there is nothing else out there like "mosix" !

> - What future improvements would be on your wish list for Linux cluster
> technology for bioinformatics applications?

	More snmp c.f. mosix does CPU level load sharing, often apps. are
memory bound.
	More processors per nodes or kernel level snmp

> All responses will be treated as confidential. If you're willing and have
> the time to discuss any of these questions further, please let me know
> what
> day and time would be most convenient for a follow-up discussion.

	Not willing to discuss but interested in other responses.
	OGS config is confidential please.

> Thanks in advance to all -
>
> Bernadette Toner

> Bernadette Toner
> Editor, BioInform
> GenomeWeb LLC
> 212-651-5636
> btoner@genomeweb.com
> www.bioinform.com

The information transmitted by this email is private and
confidential and is intended for the use of the intended
recipients specified therein.
If you are neither an intended recipient nor an employee
or agent responsible for delivery to an intended recipient,
you should be aware that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
If you received this communication in error, please
notify us immediately.