[Bioclusters] Workstation Selection for Bioinformatics Research

Stephen Wicks bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:56:32 -0400

--Apple-Mail-14-841232478

I just realized that I did not really address this part of your
question clearly. I think the argument for Macs for the situation that
Chip described is clear: You get a bioinformatics-capable environment
with all the UNIX goodness in a desktop package (that a four year old
can use ) that runs Microsoft and Adobe products with full support.
Linux is not for everyone (yet); I would not recommend a Mac to
everyone either.

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 02:31 PM, Duzlevski, Ognen wrote:

> I am not anti-Mac, just curious to know what is an
> actual benefit in even thinking about Macs in a cluster.

Dr. Stephen Wicks,
Assistant Professor, Biology.
Boston College.
140 Commonwealth Ave.,
Chestnut Hill, MA. 02467.

Phone: 617 552 6851 (office)
Fax: 617 552 2011
Office: Rm 468 Higgins Hall
e-mail: swicks@bc.edu

--Apple-Mail-14-841232478

that I did not really address this part of your question clearly. I
think the argument for Macs for the situation that Chip described is
clear: You get a bioinformatics-capable environment with all the UNIX
goodness in a desktop package (that a four year old can use ) that
runs Microsoft and Adobe products with full support. Linux is not for
everyone (yet); I would not recommend a Mac to everyone either.

 </fontfamily>

not anti-Mac, just curious to know what is an

actual benefit in even thinking about Macs in a cluster.

Stephen Wicks,

Assistant Professor, Biology.

Boston College.

140 Commonwealth Ave.,