[Bioclusters] MicroArray Data Management

Steve Pittard bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:15:08 -0500 (EST)

I have a question about the managemt and investigation of
microarray data. If the topic is too far out of band  for the
list then feel free to reply directly. On the other hand much
of our investigative sequence analysis work on our cluster winds
up supporting design of hybridization experiments so I would be
surprised of others here aren't interested
in managing microarray data.

I've been using Affymetrix chips with products
such as GeneSpring, SpotFire, R and BioConductor
have been archiving data in BASE and am considering Iobian's
GeneTraffic as a possible backend database for storage.

Of course any  database can handle the data though with
microarray data its a common need for researchers
to be able to check out data and compare genes from one
experiment to genes in another (possible many) experiment.
The comparisons typically require the employment of
statistical methods so we have used R and BioConductor to
cull out genes , perform some tests, and create gene lists
to refine scope. The process is repeated.

So if anyone has opinions on this process or what
they have found to be particulalry effective I would
like to hear about it. I can provide you with information

Thanks

Steve Pittard	 | http://catalina.bimcore.emory.edu (HOME PAGE)
Emory University | wsp@emory.edu, wsp@bimcore.emory.edu  (INTERNET)
BIMCORE Support	 | 404 727 0038