[Bioclusters] Clusters

Saharinen Juha bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 09:41:27 +0300

Hi Juan,

We recently tested many different platforms (Intel Xeons and Itaniums, =
AMD Athlons and Opterons, IBM p690 and Apple G5) when we were building =
our cluster. The results were something different than what you can see =
on manufacturers' www-pages.=20

Briefly, the AMD Opterons were clearly fastest in almost all testes =
(different bioinformatics apps) we ran and since the price we got for =
the opteron based cluster was the best the decision was pretty easy for =
us.

I'm aware this topic could be of interest to many readers of this =
discussion, but I'm a bit hesitant to put the results publicly here. =
Nevertheless, just email me and we can continue more in detail on this =
topic, if you or anyone else are/is interested.

Best regards,

Juha

-------
Juha Saharinen, PhD