[Bioclusters] NCBI 2.2.9 compile error on x86-64 Fedora Core 2

Doug Shubert bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:06:52 -0400

--------------080100070608060707050003

Hello Alan,
I have noticed that our dual Opteron 1.4 Ghz memory test is
@ 1,008MB/sec vs the Uni 3Ghz P4 @ 2,852 MB/sec and
Dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon systems @ 1,374 MB/sec.

By running BBS in ramdisk, I feel this is showing us the limits of system
memory, O/S and BLAST codes. Virtually no disk IO is observed
during the benchmark and no swap is used.

we use memtest+ ver. 1.2 to benchmark memory
http://www.memtest.org/

I will be running BBS on both the P4 and Xeon soon and will post my results.

One BBS setup change I made was '/bin/blastall' vs '/build/blastall'.
All benchmarks ran error free.

hope this helps
Doug

Alan Kilian wrote:

>  Doug,
>
>    Do you know why your numbers are so different from Joe's
>    numbers posted here? <http://bioinformatics.org/bbs/>
>
>    For some tests, you are significantly faster, for some you are
>    significantly slower.
>
>    I'm just curious about how people explain differences in these
>    benchmark reports.
>
>    I'm getting ready to try again to run these benchmarks on our
>    system, so any help you could provide would be great.
>
>    Thanks,
>
>                        -Alan
>
>Doug:
>1,1,1641
>2,1,1647
>2,2,1685
>3,4,3289
>3,1,3296
>3,3,3332
>3,2,3335
>4,1,863
>5,1,1683
>5,2,1690
>6,1,848
>
>Joe:
>1,1,2167
>2,1,1361
>2,2,2747
>3,1,1018
>3,2,2972
>3,4,3180
>3,3,4380
>4,1,391
>5,2,4011
>5,1,4015
>6,1,1988

--------------080100070608060707050003

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<title></title>
Hello Alan,<br>
I have noticed that our dual Opteron 1.4 Ghz memory test is <br>
@ 1,008MB/sec vs the Uni 3Ghz P4 @ 2,852 MB/sec and <br>
Dual 2.4 Ghz Xeon systems @ 1,374 MB/sec. <br>
By running BBS in ramdisk, I feel this is showing us the limits of
system <br>
memory, O/S and BLAST codes. Virtually no disk IO is observed<br>
during the benchmark and no swap is used. <br>
we use memtest+ ver. 1.2 to benchmark memory<br>
I will be running BBS on both the P4 and Xeon soon and will post my
results.<br>
One BBS setup change I made was '/bin/blastall' vs '/build/blastall'.<br>
All benchmarks ran error free. <br>
hope this helps<br>
Doug<br>
Alan Kilian wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">  Doug,

    Do you know why your numbers are so different from Joe's
    numbers posted here? <a
 class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="http://bioinformatics.org/bbs/">&lt;http://bioinformatics.org/bbs/&gt;</a>

[...]

  </pre>

--------------080100070608060707050003--