[Bioclusters] (no subject)

Dan Bolser bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 21:48:51 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004, Tim Cutts wrote:

> On 30 Mar 2004, at 22:59, Dan Bolser wrote:
>
> > Allocated 3083945984 bytes
> > That's 2941.08 MB.
> >
> >> From my xeon (Mem:4124724k av, Swap:2040244k av)
> >
> > Hmmmm.....
> >
> > What does it mean?
>
> You're getting as much memory as we'd expect.  The kernel reserves 1 GB
> of the per-process address space for its own purposes, on X86 machines,
> so your program is left with 3GB.  Ish.

Hi, last question (I hope) - how come I get the same ~ value from my
desktop with only 1030956 kb memory?

Am I looking at 3Gb per process physical or swap upper limit? Sorry about
this, but I was assuming that the previous conversation related to
physical memory only.

Thanks very much to everyone for such well informed feeback!

(and sorry for dumb questions)

Dan (not the sysadmin).