[Bioclusters] Advice:Several Linux Clusters and FLEXLM

Chris Dagdigian bioclusters@bioinformatics.org
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 12:39:15 -0400

{ my $.02 }

I don't see this as being any sort of problem...all of your clusters can
talk to the flexlm server if necessary to learn what is available...

All of the flexlm integration work I've done on LSF and Grid Engine
clusters has involved local cluster-side scripts or daemons that
regularly poll one or more of the central, enterprise FlexLM servers.

The scripts query the server for the status and availability of each
particlar application token they care about. This information is then
cached/incorporated into the cluster scheduler while being regularly
updated.

The approach is not 100% bulletproof so you typically need epilog or job
termination scrips that are capable of automatically finding the jobs
that died due to license-not-available reasons caused by the lightweight
and detached nature of the polling mechanism.

If your licenses are cheap and/or under-subscribed (never found this
yet!) you can cheat and avoid a few of the race conditions by fooling
your cluster into thinking there are 1-2 tokens less then are really
available. That gives you a bit of a buffer if some other cluster takes
some free tokens between polling updates and job dispatch.

As long as all your clusters have at least one node that can poll the
FlexLM server(s) this should work.

You should be able to follow the information you found online and just
replicate it on each of your clusters.

If you want to get fancy you can write a single license polling daemon
that regularly sends information in some sort of parsable form to each
of the local clusters. Your local license checking scripts then have
much less work to do and don't have to talk on the network.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian, <dag@sonsorol.org>
BioTeam  - Independent life science IT & informatics consulting