[Bioclusters] Fatal Error occurred

amornpan boontongchuay oof_078 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 21:37:04 EDT 2005

Dear Sir,

I am biological science. I am interested in mpiBLAST. I try to install
by following the README file of mpiblast v1.3.0 (window version).

I think the installation should be work but when I ran the command line

> mpiformatdb -N 25 -i nt

at the shared directory the Fatal Error occurred:

Unable to read mpiBlast shared storage path from either .ncbirc or the
MPIBLAST_SHARED environment variable. The mpiblast configuration in
should look like

I don't know how to solve this problem. I tried in three days ago. I
think I
install mpiblast in window so it should not relate to .ncbirc (config
file in unix). How ever I don't know about the MPIBLAST_SHARED environment
variable because the installation does not suggest me about this.

- Is my installation correct?

1. install mpich-nt.
2. Copy mpiblast.exe and mpiformatdb.exe to a shared storage directory,
        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast

3. Create a ncbi.ini configuration file created in the Windows
Data=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast
BLASTDB=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast
BLASTMAT=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast
Shared=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast
Local=C:\Program Files\mpiBLAST

** for the Local path, it is the path that mpiblast v1.3 is installed.

 4. Get the NCBI data distribution (ncbi.tar) and copy its contents to

        C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast

5. Edit the file mpiblast CONF file (after the eorror occured) at  C:\Program Files\mpiBLAST like

Shared=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\shereForMPIblast
Local=C:\Program Files\mpiBLAST

*** In this work I installed mpiBlast program in a single computer
(just my
own computer only) no linking to other computer. Can the problem occur
fromthis case?

Please help me. Thank you very much.

Best regards,

Do you Yahoo!?