[Bioclusters] number of bioclusters, bio-HPC users

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Mar 16 18:25:16 EST 2005

Hi folks:

   I asked this a long time ago here and elsewhere, but I figure it is
time to ask again.  Are there any studies out there in the world (for
pay or for free/download/quoteable) on the number of HPC users in the
life sciences?  Basically I am trying to "track" the "market size" (read
as the total number of users) for high performance clusters, grids, and
related computing gear.  I dont care about web servers, file servers,
and so forth.  Most studies I have seen don't break this out.

   I have various bits of data from a number of paid sources, but I am
looking for additional information.  Basically I am trying to understand
what the computational cycle appetite is today, and what people think it
will be tomorrow.

   I have used bits of this information in the past in various talks and
presentations, as well as other things I am working on.  I would like to
get a sense, and a get discussion going on this, to see what people think.

   Also, it would be interesting to hear what architectures are most
interesting to people and why.  Some architectures have been pure hype
(cough), some are panning out.  What do you think people will be buying
in the short, medium, and long term?  I ask this in part because of the
bits I have seen recently with Itanium2 predictions from Gartner, which
when framed in the context of the IBM analysis several months ago to
explain the removal of this platform from their offerings, is to say the
least, interesting.

   Thanks!

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D