[Bioclusters] Direct connect infiniband/quadrics?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Mar 16 12:56:59 EST 2005

On 16 Mar 2005, at 3:46 pm, Rayson Ho wrote:

> --- Tim Cutts <tjrc at sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Did you consider an 8-way SGI Altix 350?
>> It might suit your application well, and might even fit in that
>> budget
>> (just).
> The IA64/Itanic is not good at integer code, and it is expensive and
> sucks lots of power. Opteron is much better and more common IMO.

I thought he said it was molecular dynamics code?  That would be
floating point, wouldn't it?

And the power issue is only true up to a point; the good fellows at the
Manchester Supercomputing Centre tell me that the large NUMA boxes from
SGI that they have are *way* more power-efficient than their IBM Xeon
cluster.  More expensive up front, yes, but the power consumption and
aircon requirements are much friendlier.

Dr Tim Cutts
Informatics Systems Group, Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
GPG: 1024D/E3134233 FE3D 6C73 BBD6 726A A3F5  860B 3CDD 3F56 E313 4233