[Bioclusters] Benchmarks on a dual core Xeon

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jan 20 12:48:16 EST 2006

Hi Chris:

   Interesting results.  In the report you wrote that your blastn nt
results were limited by IO.  Could you clarify this?  That is, on a 16
GB ram machine, one should expect that the indices are completely cached
upon the first scan through the sequences, as the indices fit into much
less than 16 GB ram.  We see this happen on 8 GB ram machines and below.

   Thanks.

Joe