[Bioclusters] New version of mpiBLAST available

Jeremy Archuleta jsarch at cs.vt.edu
Fri Jan 18 14:19:26 EST 2008

Dear mpiBLAST Users,

We are proud to announce the immediate release of the next production-
quality version of mpiBLAST.
This new release incorporates a number of enhancements to the
program's scalability and portability.
Some of the new key features include:
   * Portable high-performance I/O that works on serial (e.g. NFS)
and parallel (e.g. PVFS) file-systems as well as when no globally
sharead file-system is available.
   * Ability to efficiently, and now in parallel, generate exact e-
value scores for large queries.
   * Scalable database pre-distribution saves time transferring
fragments to workers.
   * Efficient in-memory caching of database fragments reduces
repeated I/O instuctions.
   * Distributed with an already patched NCBI toolbox, eliminating
the need to download, patch, and install it yourself. (Separate patch
file still included in package for users wishing to run different
NCBI toolbox version.)
   * Stress tested on more than 12,000 cores while generating 1
Petabyte as part of the SC|07 Storage Challenge winning entry.

Please visit http://www.mpiblast.org to learn more about how to get
mpiBLAST-1.5.0-pio running on your system.

(Note: Because this release can run on unshared, shared, parallel,
serial, and distributed file-systems, version 1.5.0-pio will
supersede version 1.4.0 and we recommend that all users transition to
this new version.)

Best regards,
mpiBLAST Development Team