[Biococoa-dev] Design question

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Thu Aug 5 14:21:31 EDT 2004

Just to illustrate the principle: look at
http://www.biojava.org/docs/api/index.html
and lookup their RestrictionEnzyme class in the "All Classes" list on
the left. It's exactly the way I propose to do as well. Also click on
the "Use" button on top of the page once you have the RestrictionEnzyme
class in opened. You'll see that they have "controller objects" as
well. We could make a SharedRestrictionEnzymeManager as well, one that
could return all listed enzymes for instance, or which you could ask
for details about a specific enzyme.

Another example: Go again to the mainpage which the link above points
to. Check out the core biological class "org.biojava.bio.seq" and
you'll see that they have a class called DNATools and RNATools. This is
where a lot of general methods could go into. Finally, it would be an
idea as well to add a number of protocols that would group certain
related classes (like NSCoding, NSCopying, does for the foundation
frameworks).

Again, enough stuff to think about and a lot of design work, but these
guys at BioJava have done many things along the lines we were thinking
as well, and it seems to work very nicely...
Alex

Op 5-aug-04 om 16:45 heeft John Timmer het volgende geschreven:

                       AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                       E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                    Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

MacOS X: The power of UNIX with the simplicity of the Mac