[Biococoa-dev] Demo App

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 27 10:45:32 EDT 2004

Thanks - I found the mistakes in the .plist, and things should work fine
now.  Incidentally, a 2.4 Mb BAC took about 46 seconds to reverse
complement.  I should probably do some typical use profiling to figure out
at what point someone using this should notify the user that it's busy.

You're right on the nomenclature - the "of" implies that you're handing the
sequence to it.  I'll change the names and add the "reverse" as well.
Internally, there is no case to the sequence since it's all objects, so the
remaining two methods should return NSStrings.  The first one already exists
(as "description"), but I could add the second if it's useful.

Switching gears, has anyone given any thought to a translation machinery?
BioJava does it by having a translator object that you send the sequence and
a translation dictionary to, which seems to make some sense.  It will be a
bit tricky to code, though, as different things will take different numbers
of tokens to translate (ie - DNA -> RNA vs. RNA -> protein).  I've got an
idea on this, but I thought I'd ask if anyone had one before poisoning your
mind with my thoughts.

Cheers,

John