[Biococoa-dev] Factories

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 31 17:49:08 EDT 2004

> On Aug 30, 2004, at 2:31 PM, John Timmer wrote:
>
>> It did 1 frame of my 11KB test sequence in about 0.2 of a second,
>

> How did you measure that?

I should admit that I've tested it a bunch of times now, and the results are
very variable depending on the burden on my system.  Best results tend to be
less than 0.15, but if the machine's busy, it can easily take over 0.3 of a
second.

Regardless, I use NSDate's as in the following code snippet:

NSDate *now = [NSDate date];
if ( [[theInput string] length] == 0)
        return;

BCSequenceDNA *theSequence = [BCSequenceDNA DNASequenceWithString: [theInput
string] skippingNonBases: YES];

NSArray *translation = [BCUtilDNATranslator translationOfSequence:
theSequence inRange: NSMakeRange( 0, [theSequence length] ) usingDictionary:
@"universal genetic code"];

NSLog ( @"%f", [now timeIntervalSinceNow] );