[Biococoa-dev] new release

Peter Schols peter.schols at bio.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Dec 10 05:09:58 EST 2004

Hi,

The BioCocoa updates you are seeing now are indeed intended for the
resubmission of a paper I submitted last year, when BioCocoa was at
1.1. I have already informed some people about this 'special version'
but I haven't had a chance to send an announcement to the list yet, so
I'll do it now ;-)

- The 1.6 version you are seeing for download on the BioCocoa homepage
is an updated version of BioCocoa 1.1. So it does not use the new
architecture yet. In other words, it still uses NSStrings and
NSDictionaries in stead of BCSequences and the like. So this new
version only converts between multiple sequence/phylogeny file formats,
which was the first goal of the original BioCocoa.

- The major new additions to this version are support for the following
file formats: Nona, TNT, Hennig86, Beast and Plain.

- This 1.6 version is 100% GNUstep compliant, and as a consequence it
runs well on Windows and Linux (with a working installation of GNUstep,
of course). The lack of a Windows and Linux versions was one of the
main issues the reviewers had with the first version.

- None of the changes or additions in this version have been added to
the BC repository yet. Of course I'll do this, but not before testing
them a bit more and changing the I/O methods to use BCSequences (or
BCSequenceWrappers or whatever we will be using by then).

Best wishes,
peter