[Biococoa-dev] Re: BioCocoa class structure

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 06:11:30 EDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 11:02 PM, Jim Balhoff wrote:

> Otherwise, I don't think of file IO immediately when I think of a
> sequence.  Could there be a separate sequence class, which is used for
> analyses and could return various file type string representations
> when asked?

I think that is a good suggestion. The current BCReader and BCCreator
can be used as a starting point for that.

I had a brief glance at the class structure and the file ideas document
that John posted. First impression: very ambitious! I will read it more
carefully, but have one first comment. Generally it is not recommended
(if you check the cocoa mailinglists) to subclass foundation classes,
such as NSDictionary. It is better to create a class that has an member
of such a class. So in this case there would be a BCSequence class with
a NS(Mutable)Dictionary as a member variable.