[Biococoa-dev] BCSequenceReader

John Timmer jtimmer at bellatlantic.net
Thu Nov 11 11:05:42 EST 2004

A couple of additional thoughts -

I agree with Alex, in that simply calculating the percentage of GCAT should
give you a strong sense of what the sequence is in the majority of
situations.  There might be a very quick way of doing that, though I'm not
sure.  T vs. U should also be considered - maybe count the Us, then decide
whether to count GCAT or GCAU.

Another thing is that FASTA provides a comment line, which often indicates
what the sequence is, though I'm pretty sure this isn't standardized (ie -
people are probably free to call a DNA sequence a "protein coding region",
so selecting basic terms from the comments will probably fail).

The last thought is that it's most important for there to be a defined order
of assumptions.  Explicitly state which conditions are tested in which order
and what the fallback is, so people know what they're getting into.

The last thing is that I think FASTA defines an alignment format, too - does
the existing code account for this?

Cheers,

JT