[Biococoa-dev] MW of DNA with ambiguous bases

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 7 21:36:02 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm working on some code in BCMassCalculator that takes care of
ambigous bases. First I test to see if it is an ambiguous base as
follows:

         if ( [aSymbol isKindOfClass: [BCNucleotideDNA class]] && !
[(BCNucleotideDNA *) aSymbol isSingleBase])

Is that correct?

If true, it calculates a min and max value, based on the masses of the
bases returned by representingBases and adds that to totalMin and
totalMax. The new calculateMassWithRange returns an NSArray of two
NSNumbers based on totalMin and totalMax, that can be interpreted by
the client as needed.

Now I need some DNA sequence that contains ambigous bases, so I can
test this. Could someone paste some sequence for me (not too long, I'm
still on dial-up ;-)

thanks,