[Biococoa-dev] GNUStep Compatibility

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Wed Sep 8 13:35:43 EDT 2004

Ok guys listen up, why don't we go for a strategy change and dump the
GNUStep compatibility.

So our goals was to make a great Cocoa framework that would:
- be powerful and still easy to work with
- leverage all the advantages not only Cocoa but also are beloved
platform brings
- with compact and clean open-source code

And we set our minimum compatibility to MacOSX 10.2.8

Now the question is whether it should be GNUStep compatibility, which
would have the huge advantage that it:
- would bring our framework to the mass.
- would skyrocket our credibility both in an academic and commercial way

Well, guess what, the other side has a number of great frameworks
already (biojava i.e.) and who makes gnusteps apps for windows
nowadays? I don't even know of one! So the number of developers that it
would attract or would use our framework would be virtually nil (at
least that's my prediction). Thus, does it bring our framework to the
mass, yes, but only as a marketing fairytail.

Then the credibility issue is that a credible thought?  I do believe
that it would be helpful to get publications/attention etc., but I just
shot it down a few lines ago, so a reviewer can if he wants.

Even worse, we haven't talked about the disadvantages yet. Does the
following weight up against the benefits, starting with the goals we
originally set:
- it would place definitely limit the number of options we have,
automatically making our framework less powerful, but also less easy to
work with.
- we couldn't leverage many great features Cocoa offers, let alone the
fact that all new stuff would never be an option
- the code will turn in a mess with all the if-defs around and double
implementations

Furthermore, would it mean we can't use XCode and have to go back to
Project Builder, no way! And finally, we're with a small group of
people, the efforts and time it takes to check all this, read the
mailinglists, find out workarounds, optimize two implementations, can
be way better spend on other things!

So why don't we just dump the GNUStep thing, I have the feeling we all
think this way. I agree we're all reluctant because of the PR thing in
the future, but first of all we're a long way from that and second I
have thought of taking a different strategy.

Why don't we try to build this killer Cocoa framework that would be a
real Cocoa equivalent of the BioJava framework. It doesn't have to be
as big at the start, but it has to offer the same core functions and be
of good quality. Well that was our goal from the onset right?
Next, when we are at that stage, we contact the people of the Open
Bioinformatics Foundation (OBF, www.open-bio.org), the umbrella
organization of BioPerl, -Java, -Python, etc. and apply to become a
formal project and join their foundation. Apple is even a sponsor of
them, and I can contact some people at Apple that I met at WWDC to
actually help us with that if necessary. Once under that umbrella, I'm
convinced that gives just as much credibility and PR as being GNUStep
compliant. I think even more in fact. Journals for instance will
definitely recognize you of being of importance with such a foundation
behind you, even if your project is Mac only, the fact that your a
sister project of BioJava and BioPerl would make it less of a problem.
Well, I won't put all my money on it, but I'm willing to bet it's a
better strategy in many respects....

What do you guys think?
Alexs

Op 8-sep-04 om 18:20 heeft John Timmer het volgende geschreven:

                       AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                       E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                    Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

MacOS X: The power of UNIX with the simplicity of the Mac