[Biococoa-dev] WWDC2005

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Wed Feb 16 05:19:01 EST 2005

Hi guys,

Yesterday the date of WWDC2005 was announced (6-10 june) and Tom and I
will definitely go again (very addictive). Although I haven't
contributed much in the past month because of you know why, I have been
walking around with this idea that I would like to get your opinion on.
Wouldn't it be great if we could organize a get together at the WWDC,
meet each other in real, learn all about the new stuff in tiger (i.e.
what opportunities will Core Data give us in combination with
BioCocoa), and discuss/work together on the framework. I think it would
be a perfect opportunity to both boost the development progress and set
out the future directions/trajectory we have in mind.

Now my gut feeling says that:
- Me and Tom will go for sure (that wasn't to difficult to feel) and
will apply for a scholarship for admission and travel sponsorship from
the institute
- Peter can go for the scholarship as well, but perhaps joins the
Belgian Apple group again ?
- Charles are you going because of the xgrid stuff again? Do you have
an invitation?
- Jim was there last time, are you going again?
- And then there are Koen and John, did you guys have any plans in
going already?

So the question is, does any of you already know for sure they're going
and who would be interested in going and join in a BioCocoa meeting?
Who would be interested but has (financial) considerations that will
make it unlikely to come?

The reason for asking is that if we all like the idea, I'm want to try
to convince the people at Apple I met last year to perhaps
sponsor/co-organize this event. Therefore I would like to know who
would like to come but needs to pay the 1600$ admission fee if he does
so. I would like to see if its possible that Apple would sponsor those
a free ticket to the WWDC.
The second thing would be to ask if they're interested in having one of
the lunch meetings being centered around BioCocoa. Last year there were
quite some bio people there (including a guy from BioPerl), it would be
nice to give a little presentation on the framework and discuss the
plans and as such both attract new developers perhaps and warm up apple
to support our initiative if they like it. Also, Apple is an official
sponsor of the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (the mother organisation
of BioJava, BioPerl etc), so I guess they are interested in a BioCocoa
sibling.

For those planning to visit WWDC already, I'm looking forward to meet
you all! For those that didn't until now, let me know if you're
interested and can free the week from the 6-10th of june. It would be
great to have our first official BioCocoa meeting!
Let me know what you think,
Cheers,
Alex

Links: