CoreData (was: [Biococoa-dev] CoreDate ;-)

Alexander Griekspoor mek at mekentosj.com
Fri Feb 18 04:15:52 EST 2005

>> I don't see the advantage of adding all sorts of views to the
>> framework. I guess when users want to implement the sequence handling
>> part they will create their own sequence viewers, etc. For instance,
>> we supply the code to search for a subsequence, but how this is
>> implemented in a window is up to the user. Every app is different, so
>> will have different demands on the views it uses. That said, if we
>> decide to add specialized views for users, maybe we can supply them
>> as IB palettes?
>
> I think a simple BCSequenceView would be nice. Besides, we are not
> forcing anybody to use it. But it can be useful for applications not
> necessarily sequence-centric, like a pdb viewer that wants to display
> sequences without too much code to add.
Exactly, I totally agree with Charles. We don't need a complete
editing/vector dnastrider like view, but a simple sequenceview (with
line numbers) is very nice. And I was also thinking more in the
direction of for instance a standard entrez search window, like I will
use in the upcoming enzymex update. Think on things like the
Addressbook lookuppanel. And yes, that should become IB palettes...

> I am still unsure how bindings could be useful, but I trust Alex on
> that and we will see what he comes up with (and I don't think there is
> much we can do to slow him down now...).
Oh there are plenty of things that can (and will) slow me down ;-)

                       AIM: mekentosj at mac.com
                       E-mail: a.griekspoor at nki.nl
                    Web: http://www.mekentosj.com

MacOS X: The power of UNIX with the simplicity of the Mac