[Biococoa-dev] NSMutableData vs malloc

Charles Parnot charles.parnot at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 19:59:58 EDT 2005

On Jul 10, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Koen van der Drift wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2005, at 7:41 PM, Charles Parnot wrote:
>> I know you mentioned it before, but why are you saying that
>> BCSequence is immutable?
> Otherwise it would have been called BCMutableSequence? :)
> No, but seriuosly, my understanding was the the mutable sequence is
> going to be a subclass of the immutable sequence. And since we are
> still setting up the base classes it was my understanding that a
> sequence is immutable by default, because often you want to make
> sure that you are not chaning your data during a operation.
> cheers,
> - Koen.

I am completely and absolutely with you. But I am just being
pragmatic right now, and I know most people on this list want mutable
sequences now... One thing we could do is call all of these classes
BCMutableSequence, BCMutableDNASequence,... and not use the name
BCDNASequence,... But I think we will have mutable/immutable
sequences real soon now. I want to work on that!! I feel exactly like
you, that we need these immutable sequences to ensure better

Help science move fast forward:

Charles Parnot
charles.parnot at gmail.com