[BioCocoa-dev] Peptides...

Koen van der Drift kvddrift at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 25 10:48:14 EST 2005

On Mar 25, 2005, at 8:40 AM, John Timmer wrote:

>> //    return [[symbolArray copy] autorelease];

There are indeed some more places where this construction is used. I
understand the carefulness why this was introduced, but in most cases
speed is probably a more important factor. I don't think we should
throw these out, but maybe we should think of adding some accessors
that have the word 'copy' in it. These can then be called when a copy
is really needed, instead of only a pointer. For instance:

- (NSArray *)copyOfSymbolArray  or - (NSArray *)symbolArrayCopy

Or something else. If we make the difference clear in the docs, I don't
think there will be an issue. What do you think?