[Biococoa-dev] whatsuuup?

Charles Parnot charles.parnot at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 19:47:08 EDT 2005

> I'm not sure if I get it right, but the offset could become quite
> complex because for sequences with many indels there will be many
> offsets and you not only need to store offset length but also
> offset position. For example:
>
> 1. CCGTGGGTCCAGGATGA
>
> 2. ----GGG---CCA--GG----
>
> The offset array for 2. could be something like (0,4); (8,3);
> (14,2); (17,4)
> Maybe we could have an NSOffset (or NSInsertion) struct similar to
> NSPoint that has two integers: position and length.
>
> Charles, is this what you meant with offset information?
>
> Peter

You are going too fast for me, guys! NSRange is one possibility, as
suggested by Koen.
The other possibility is to remember that BCSymbol includes a gap
symbol, that can be used for that, too, without the need for all the
intermediate offsets.

It does not matter too much in the end, though it might make our life
easier to use the gap symbol to get the information back to the user
of the framework, for instance when we need to return a string with
the sequence, including the gaps.

charles

--
Xgrid-at-Stanford