[Biococoa-dev] BioCocoa 2.0 release

Peter Schols sweetcocoa at mac.com
Thu Aug 10 01:55:52 EDT 2006

Hi Koen,

This seems to be the original press release, not the updated one (see
below)
cheers,
peter

BioCocoa 2: an open-source Cocoa framework for molecular biology

SAN FRANCISCO -- August 9, 2006 -- The BioCocoa team is pleased to
announce the release of BioCocoa 2.0
BioCocoa is an open-source framework for bioinformatics written in
Objective-C. It intends to provide Cocoa programmers with a full
suite of
tools for handling and manipulating biological sequences.

The new release includes:

*	A set of easy-to-use, yet powerful model objects representing
biological sequences

*	I/O classes to import and export sequences to and from a variety of
commonly used formats, eg swiss-prot, ncbi, fasta, nexus,...

*	Tools to manipulate and obtain information about sequences

*	An NSTextView subclass designed for sequence display

Initially started as framework to read and write the plethora of
available sequence file formats, BioCocoa is now evolving into a more
general bioframework leveraging the power of the Objective-C language
and Cocoa frameworks.

More information and documentation about the framework is available
at: http://bioinformatics.org/biococoa/
The framework can be downloaded directly at: http://
bioinformatics.org/biococoa/XXXXX.dmg

The BioCocoa project has been founded by Peter Schols and has been
expanded to include developers from around the world, including Koen
van der Drift, Alexander Griekspoor, Charles Parnot and Philipp
Seibel. The team welcomes new developers with a background in life
sciences or bioinformatics and aims to make BioCocoa a sibling of
other OpenBio.org projects such as BioJava, BioPerl, and BioRuby.