[Biococoa-dev] biococoa svn and everything

Charles Parnot charles.parnot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 12:48:46 EDT 2007

Hi there!

I was one of the people that did the "moving on" thing

I think there is a pretty strong basis in the framework, at least for
the export/import tools, and then for the basics BCSequence stuff. I
did set up the initial test suite, which I think would need to be
updated and extended.

When the project went into hibernation mode, the status was (at least
from my point of view):

* in search of a project leader, that would have some basic amount of
time to make decision as to where to go, and do some coding too
* needing a "killer" app to wrap the framework and put it to use.
This is the only way things would be tested in the real world by real
users. The killer app can be a simple sequence editor that expose as
much as possible of the underlying framework
* a design decision has to be made to allow 2 aspects of the
framework to coexist: a core framework that provides the basic
functionality; an extension mechanisms that allows people to easily
contribute additional more specialized functionality (we had some
talks for instance with Phil Seibel about how the NSImage and
NSImageRepresentation design could inspire something. But really more
thoughts need to be put into that, and nothing has been decided). The
idea is that not everybody will be interested in the specialized
stuff, so having optional modules would be a good thing.
* one of the feature that was in the works was to add annotation/
feature to the basic BCSequence class

so, a big roadmap, with lots of avenues ;-)

And yes, if things start moving again, or a project leader self
nominates, that would certainly warrant a post on macresearch.
Hosting the project is also still a possibility, but that would mean
some additional work for the project leader too in setting things up
and maintaining it, as well as some kind of commitment for a
reasonable amount of time.

charles