[Biococoa-dev] biococoa svn and everything

Scott Christley schristley at mac.com
Wed Sep 19 15:32:02 EDT 2007

Hello Charles!

I'm not sure if I'm nominating myself to be project leader, seems a
bit ambitious for somebody new to the community, but I certainly have
the time and (most importantly) the desire to move BioCocoa forward.
What I worry about mostly is not losing the ability to add new
developers if and when they come along, I remember that I tried to
send an email to Peter Schols from bioinformatics.org and it went
into a black hole, I had to find another email to reach him.  He was
responsive though (thanks Peter if you are out there) once I got the
email right, but if he has moved on maybe it would be good to give
some others admin access to the project?

You are exactly right that there are a lot of avenues that can be
taken.  I keep thinking to myself that BioCocoa can differentiate
itself by providing functionality not provided by the other packages
like BioPerl and BioJava.  Not sure what a "killer" app would be, one
thing that I think would be very cool though is a desktop genome
browser (versus the web-based ones) which integrates all the genome
information with analysis tools.

Has anybody thought about putting an article together and submit to
Nucleic Acids Research journal?  Might be a good way to get a little
awareness as well as have a solid reference that research articles
can point to.

cheers
Scott