[Biodevelopers] what databases are you using?

Patrick McConnell MCCon012 at mc.duke.edu
Thu Jul 11 08:57:42 EDT 2002

For many applications, we are using MySQL.  It has proven to be quite
dependable and efficient.

For more complex data (e.g. blast results), we are moving towards using an
XML database.  The free XML databases (Xindice, and a couple others) do not
perform particularly well, and we found them to be undependable, often
hanging with frequent and simultaneous access.  Thus, we have invested in a
commercial product (Tamino), and have found it to be excellent.  Though we
are still in the development phase of our application, Tamino has worked
great.

I find the flexibility of XML to be essential to storing the often complex
biological data.  Also, several packages exist to automatically serialize
and deserialize Java objects to XML.  This has greatly sped development
time of our applications, as extremely complex data structures can be
mapped directly to XML and indexed in a database.

-Patrick McConnell
Duke Bioinformatics Shared Resource
mccon012 at mc.duke.edu

"Pawel Krasucki" <Pkrasucki at psstat.com>@bioinformatics.org on 07/11/2002