[Biodevelopers] what databases are you using?

Joe Landman landman at scientificappliance.com
Thu Jul 11 09:08:33 EDT 2002

I agree on the need for flexible XML databases.

What has worried me is the serialization of objects.  The beauty of XML
is of course that it is a self descripted structured datatype.  Building
objects using XML to represent the data structures is a powerful
technique (been doing that with Perl for more than a year).  The problem
is storing the object in a DB.

Serialization has always bugged me as non-optimal approach...  using a
database as a file system rather than a database.  Are there any
non-serializing DB's for XML out there?  It doesnt seem like a hard
problem to solve...

Aside from that, the utility of the DB is significantly lowered as a
language independent persistant data object repository if you need to
deal explicitly with one languages serialization methods (e.g. no
language independent de-serialization methods).  This point has also
irked me, and I dont know of a good solution to serialization (apart
from not serializing).  Add to this the performance hit of walking a
complex data structure and formatting it for the serialization
process...

Joe