[Biodevelopers] XML Schema

Patrick McConnell MCCon012 at mc.duke.edu
Wed Jun 19 09:03:16 EDT 2002

Joe,

Why do feel that the structure of the object is lost?  I use schema's all
the time, and I have not had this experience.  We perform direct
serialization of Java objects to XML (and back again), and the resulting
XML is validated against schema in our XML database.  The structure of
these objects is retained perfectly, and mimicked perfectly by the schema.
Though it can be difficult to read, it is just like any other language.
With time, it becomes intuitive.

For XML serializating of Java objects, check out EXML at The Mind Electric.
They specialize in web services, and use their EXML package to directly map
Java objects to XML so that your web service can focus on implementation
(instead of parsing).  Also, they automatically generate type definitions
in WSDL files, which is quite similar to schema.

As to DTD's, they are not typed, whereas schemas typically include type
information.  I do not know if one is more readable than the other.  I
think they are equally obsfucated.

-Patrick

Duke Bioinformatics Shared Resource
mccon012 at mc.duke.edu