[Biodevelopers] Standalone WWW Blast server

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Oct 30 21:53:36 EST 2002

Hi Jacquelyn:

  You should be able to use a Linux machine to do this quite cost
effectively.

  The configuration of the machine depends strongly upon which databases
you will be using, what type of searches you will be performing, and how
many query sequences you have.

  Some simple rules of thumb:

1) Memory is cheap, and BLAST loves memory.  Without knowing details, I
cannot really guess where you need to be, but I tend to try to configure
a minimum of 1 GB RAM.  "Excess" RAM is used as a disk cache, which
speeds up the calculation.  I have used a machine for searches where 4GB
was insufficient for all the indices of all the databases.  This is
problem dependent.  Don't work with anything less than 512 MB.

2) Disk IO speed is cheap (using IDE RAID0), and databases can be
indexed/manipulated faster on a better file system.

3) Network speed is important, hopefully you have a GigE connection for
pulling down big databases, if not, a nice Intel EtherExpress Pro 100
Network card is a good choice.

4) CPU choice can incite "religious" wars, much like editor choice,
etc.  I use AMD Athlon XP's in my desktop boxes, Athlon MP's in my
servers.  You can use Pentium 4 with equal success.  Just remember that
CPU MHz does not correlate well with performance on all codes.  Lower
MHz does not mean slower, and higher MHz does not mean higher.

Joe