[Biodevelopers] Alkahest

Joseph Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Feb 21 11:07:07 EST 2003

Hi Folks:

  Some suggestions.

  1) Look at SOAP.  Under Perl, SOAP::Lite is a good module for handling
IPC/RMI type work.  I have used it in a commercial project before with
excellent results.
(http://search.cpan.org/author/KULCHENKO/SOAP-Lite-0.55/lib/SOAP/Lite.pm)

  2) If you wish to call other language routines from within Perl, look
at the Inline modules
(http://search.cpan.org/author/INGY/Inline-0.44/Inline.pod)

  3) To help define the API, try to use a simple XML document as a
method to encode the arguments to the function, so as to enable simple
inter-language calls.  This may not be possible or realistic for
internals, or performance sensitive areas.  I have not had any problems
with XML parsing under Perl using XML::Simple, though I am using neither
DTD nor Schema for the documents (they are not always necessary,
especially if you control the generation of the documents).  (see
http://search.cpan.org/author/GRANTM/XML-Simple-2.03/lib/XML/Simple.pm
for XML::Simple)

Joe

--