[Biodevelopers] xml database for bioinformatics

John Merrells merrells at sleepycat.com
Sun Feb 23 14:06:05 EST 2003

Is there any interest on the list in storing biological/genetic
information in XML databases?

I'm developing an open-source embeddable native XML database
and I'm getting quite a lot of interest from people working on biotech
projects. I thought  this would be a good place to announce its
availability. Release 1.0.10 includes APIs for Java, C++, Python, Perl,
Ruby and Tcl.

This is a bit of an essay question... but I'd be interested to hear
about any specific requirements this community has for database
systems. Are relational stores perfectly suited to your kind of
work?

John

Berkeley DB XML:  http://www.sleepycat.com/products/xml.shtml