[Biodevelopers] Re: mpi library problem

landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Jun 25 10:32:05 EDT 2003

Hi Andy:

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:04:34 +0100, andy law (RI) wrote
> All,
>
> The answer is probably out there, but pointers to the answer will
> save me time.

Ah... the X-server files ...

[...]

> with 'make' and 'make test'. However, the end bit of 'make'
> suggested running a script called 'instverf' (installation
> verification) and although that seemed to run OK, it did mention
> that there were errors in each of the tests (although it reported
> them in a 'by the way there were some errors' rather than a
> 'STOP!!!!! THRERE ARE ERRORS' kind of way).

It would be helpful to see these.

> Now we are trying to compile the *real* code, we are getting a
> failure at the link stage, with reference to a whole load of mpi_*
> routines (amongst others). We have the necessary
> -L/local/Mpich/current/lib and -lmpich flags set, but nothing seems
> to work. objdump on the library suggests that at least some of them
> are in there (although I am no expert at decoding the output of
> objdump - it could be that there is a problem in there).

Sounds like

1) missing libraries or wrong type of libraries
2) library order

Point 1 could be compiling static and having only dynamic libraries or vice
versa.  What are the linker command line options?  Do you know if the mpich
was compiled with

    ./configure --enable-sharedlib ...

where ... represents your other options.  If not, then you likely only have
static libraries.  If this is the case, try using "-static" on your compile
line (though this will likely break other libraries you are trying to link
in).  You might also try -Wl,-static on the link line.

Missing libraries are possible, always do the sanity check (existance,
permissions, visibility, ...

Point 2 is annoying but it does happen.  Library order is quite important to
link editing.  Try moving the -L/path -lmpich to the end of the link line
options if it is not already there.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D